Tuesday 30 August 2011

Take me to Tilapia


I wrote this post on Sunday morning, shortly before visiting my Mum in hospital. We spent a lovely afternoon chatting and laughing. What I didn’t know then was that this would be the last time I would see her alive. My Mum was a brave, dignified and beautiful woman with such strength and resilience - it is difficult to accept that she is no longer with us. I dedicate this blog to her and my Dad – who are now together again. Colette was the loveliest of ladies, generous and thoughtful to a T. She taught me how to cook and instilled in me why it is so important to nurture the ones you love. I won’t be writing for a while as I need to gather my strength, the gentle kicks in my tummy remind me that life goes on and I need to be strong. Prayers are very welcome at this difficult time.

RIP - Colette Margaret Kent - 6th June 1953 - 29th August 2011

Forever in our hearts. xoxox

A conversation between a fisherman and a young boy

* Tilapia – a sustainable alternative to cod and popular source of protein in Africa. Ancient Egyptians cultivated it and this fish is fast becoming a food phenomenon boasting its own hieroglyph. Containing very low levels of mercury, rare amongst many fish, it is a good source of protein, phosphorous, niacin, selenium, vitamin B12 and potassium.

Boy - Take me to Tilapia and I’ll show you flavours that flow –
A place of warmth that has never felt snow.

Fisherman - My dear this place doesn’t exist,
Perchance a dream, forgotten, now missed?

Boy - No, I know the place, I’ve tasted its flow,
I’m sailing to Morocco, see you, off I go!

Fisherman - Boy, wait, Tilapia is a fish that gives le mojo –
I’ll take you to the village of Essaouira, you know?

Boy - Yes, it rings a bell in distant memories I hold,
Its time to let them go and discover new times told.

Fisherman - Wise words my dear,
It’s in truth that Tilapia swims most clear.  

Lemon sour, sprinkled on fresh white fish with a mixture of fragrant herbs and aromatic spice foretells of a supper without compromise. I often choose meat over fish in a restaurant – though in recent times I'm tending to steer for the fish option and I'm feeling the benefits.

Sunday sunset on 28th August - an invitation to heaven
Now with a baby in my tummy, I am exploring the oceans gems with a newfound enthusiasm, the EFA's are a real magnet. My first pregnancy ignited my interest in healthy eating and now a little older and possibly wiser, I’m plunging into deeper waters! Literally.

This recipe reminds me of all the aspects I love about healthy food. The taste is like a clear blue sky, on a crisp day warmed by a fragrant herbal breeze from the Azures. Taste buds are swept into happy shores and the various textures are all complimentary. Onions, tomatoes, peppers, courgettes and garlic are at their seasonal best, it's such a simple and delicious recipe to make, I find it difficult to find a reason why not to make it.

Perfect for a midweek supper, preparation is minimal and the results are swimmingly good. As always, if you can manage, buy fish on the day of cooking. Sea bass also works beautifully in this recipe.

Eating fish never felt this fresh before.

Love,

FFX

Moroccan Tilapia

Tilapia fillets, 2 
Onion, 1 medium finely sliced,
Red pepper, 1 cut into strips
Courgettes cut into chunks
Lemons 2, 1 juiced and 1 sliced
Ground cumin, 1 tsp
White pepper, ½ tsp
Garlic, 1 clove crushed
Dried rosemary, 1 tsp
Rosemary, 2 fresh sprigs
Parsley, a small bunch roughly chopped
Coriander, a small bunch roughly chopped
Mint, a small bunch roughly chopped
Tomatoes, 2 medium sliced
Olive oil, 2 tbsp
Salt, for a final sprinkling

PRE-HEAT oven to gas 4, 180’C, 350’F
LAYER slices of onion, courgette and red peppers in the base of a suitably sized ovenproof dish.
LIGHTLY season.
PLACE one piece of tilapia on top.
SPRINKLE over cumin, white pepper, dried rosemary, garlic and the juice of one lemon.
MIX herbs together and cover the fillet - leaving the fresh rosemary to one side.
PLACE second fillet on top of herbs and fish.
LAYER tomato and lemon slices on top.
DRIZZLE over olive oil.
FINALLY finish with the remaining rosemary sprigs and a generous pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper.
BAKE for 45 minutes and serve immediately.
SAIL away with the ones you love.

17 comments:

  1. I don't have the words... I can only send you and your family my prayers and thoughts. Life does indeed go on and the memories you hold of your mom will keep her alive. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely message. It means a lot. xxx

      Delete
  2. Our condolences to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sinéad, please accept my most heartfelt sympathies for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this difficult time.

    May the love of those around you help you through the days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind message, it still helps to read these back. xx

      Delete
  4. All my love to you and family Sinead.xxx The world is missing two wonderful people, but they continue to live on through you Sinead, keep strong, Eddie and Colette would be very proud of you. love you Ang xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry about your loss..just came here today, was thinking that I haven't visited in a while, and read this..very touching. My thoughts will be with you even if I don't know you, and hope that time will heal your heartache..sorry again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Darling Sinead - so very sorry to read of your loss - heart touch of love to you Beautiful Woman, love and radiance on the ethers Darling, Alice xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just mouthwatering...looks so easy to prepare and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello darling, I hope you're well. How's baby? x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all for your kind and lovely messages. They were a real comfort! THANK YOU. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Sinead,My thoughts are with you and family.Eddie crosses my mind a lot and I know himself and Colette are in a good place.Seamus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Seamus. They're together in peace. My Dad loved you very much and his stories about your adventures together filled many a rainy day, he was a great story teller, as was my Mum. Sinead xxx

      Delete
  11. Vivek Kumar Govila8 March 2012 at 03:20

    Hi Sinead, sorry to here about your mother. The vaccum created in your life can never be filled but the wounds do heal over the passage of time. At this juncture I can just pray to God to give peace to the departed soul (your mother) and courage to you and your family members to face this difficult situation. Please accept my condolences. Vivek

    ReplyDelete
  12. bookmarked!!, I really like your blog!
    my website: repair blackberry screen

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here and would love to know what you think? If there’s a dish or a type of food you’d like to see here, please do let me know. Your comments, notes, tweets always bring a smile to my face. Thanks very much for stopping by at Feeling Food:)