Friday 17 June 2011

Broad Truth

It's whats on the inside that counts:-)
To taste and not feel,
To think and not say,
To be and care little,
To lose and win nothing –

Is to be empty.

To relish and love,
To speak and light up a room,
To say sorry and mean it,
To not know and trust anyway –

Is to be enriched.

Chorizo loves a pear!
I’m sharing the simplest of warm salads today. The flavours speak for themselves and though I didn’t eat broad beans much as a child, as an adult I welcome them to my plate ~ they're an excellent source of protein and contain LEVODOPA, a chemical the body requires to produce dopamine (the neurotransmitter associated with the brain's reward and motivation system)

To shell a bean is a less arduous task than you may think, I’ll go as far as to say it’s relaxing, grounding even. It is the small repetitive actions in cooking that are most meditative - your reward will be a welcome example of “beauty is skin deep” for inside awaits a true emerald gem. The velvet green capsule holds sweetness and flavour in abundance. Whisk a dressing of zesty lemon and tangy wholegrain mustard; finishing with a sprinkling of mint and NOURISHMENT of the most cleansing kind ensues. For an extra bite, you may add some chorizo, if so, balance with a few pears too.
Our Irish cat Rusty, under the broad beans - has he been snacking on them? He looks pretty sharp!!! ;-))

The recipe is laid out so that you may choose, trust your instincts, listen to your body and know that it is in our simplest actions that we find true peace.

Love,

Sinead xxx

Broad Beans with Minted Mustard and Honey Dressing
Fresh and delicious


SERVES 4

Broad beans 800g
Olive oil, 2 tbsp
Red onion, 1 finely sliced
Lemon, 1 juiced
Clear honey, 2 tsp
Wholegrain mustard, 1 tsp,
Mint, 1 small bunch, leaves finely sliced

OPTIONAL

Chorizo, 50g sliced
Pear, 1 cored and sliced

SHELL broad beans and cook in lightly salted water for 7 minutes until tender.
HEAT a pan, when hot pour in oil and fry onion until beginning to soften.
ADD chorizo at this stage, if using.
WHISK together, lemon, whole grain mustard, honey, mint and seasoning.
DRAIN beans.
POUR dressing into the hot pan and add pears (if using)
MIX well and pour everything into a serving bowl.
GORGEOUS!

4 comments:

  1. This salad sounds wonderful... and the pear definitely wouldn't be optional for me! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Tiffany! I'm in total agreement, I love pears too;-))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the poem.
    And love the heart bits on the left (hahaha, just like my blog). Thanks for poppin by earlier.

    I think with fresh broad beans, I will find my true peace by shelling them one by one... because it's not every day when summer comes :)
    (You make me craving for broad beans now...in Winter Wellington).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, i'm really happy you like my poem! And you're right, summer is to be cherished, broad beans are a good reminder of this. Hope you're keeping warm;-)

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here and would love to know what you think? If there’s a dish or a type of food you’d like to see here, please do let me know. Your comments, notes, tweets always bring a smile to my face. Thanks very much for stopping by at Feeling Food:)