Friday 28 January 2011

Saffron Saturday Start


Sweep into your Saturday along a golden road,
And welcome the banana beauty that’s soon to unfold.
Another weekend, a special day,
A time for joy and a day to play!
Wonderful Saturday, Saffron sweet,
In you there is mystery, an unfathomable treat!

These Saffron laced pancakes will give a golden glow to everything in your day. Saffron’s earthy hay like fragrance is unmistakable and is commonly used in Indian and Spanish recipes, two of my favourite cuisines. If spices were planets, saffron would be the sun. Saffron brightens our moods and its numerous health benefits make it a perfect ingredient to include at the start of any day, especially Saturday.

If our early decisions at the start of our day are full of self-love and kindness toward our bodies, well we’re in a good place to face the challenges of living in a sometimes, frenetic world. If in contrast we bid aurevoir to breakfast, um, “Houston we have a problem.” For giving ourselves a few moments to enjoy one of the most quiet and reflective parts of our day, with a delicious plate of gorgeous energy, which is indeed what good food gives us, we say hello to a reality where calm is present. So that if anything should go amiss, and chaos twirls her dizzying head, we’re strong enough to manage melodiously! Phew . . . .

“Fear knocked at the door. Faith answered. No one was there.”

This week I read that women, 5 in 10 in fact skip breakfast, in contrast 3 in 10 men! It got me thinking, I spoke with a few girlfriends and aside from make-up and getting children ready for school, no one seemed to have any other reasons. I’m a real believer in Breakfast, and think it’s something we should ALL experience everyday! 

Special tip - Make the batter the night before beautiful breakfast, left in the fridge over night, and ready for your ease to cook in the morning, you'll be glad you did, your day will blossom into a purple joy!

I hope you enjoy them and wish you a lovely and happy weekend!

FFX


Saffron Saturday Pancakes

SERVES 4

Rice flour 100g
Egg, 1 medium
Banana, 1 peeled, and mashed
Milk 100ml
Saffron, 7 strands
Lemon juice, 1 tbsp
Sweet freedom 1 tbsp
Coconut oil for frying

SERVE - raspberries and passion fruit with the zest of an orange for extra golden zing!

WHISK in a bowl rice flour, egg, banana, milk and sweet freedom to form a smooth batter.
GRIND saffron in a pestle and mortar, to form a powder.
SPRINKLE over the batter and pour in lemon juice, stirring well.
HEAT frying pan, when hot add coconut oil, ½ tsp per pancake.
LADLE one spoonful of lovely batter into the pan.
FRY over a medium heat for two minutes, flip over and fry for a further minute.
LEAVE to one side in a warm place and repeat 3 more times as above with the remaining mixture.
SERVE with raspberries and passion fruit, with some honeyed Greek yogurt.
ZEST an orange and scatter generously. Vitamin C never felt so good!
GOLDEN starts to any day make it a happier one!

3 comments:

  1. Hello darling,

    Thank you for your lovely comments and thank you for your beautiful blog.

    My advice...you should cook your beloved a meal and serve it in nothing but a pair of high heels!

    Hee hee! Love ya darling! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there!

    My name is Steve Walters and I recently started blogging at http://www.eatingbangkok.com, which is currently being updated with recipes, but in the next few months will be my vehicle for covering the food and restaurant scene in Bangkok Thailand.

    I am now in the process of meeting as many food bloggers as I can and I found your site http://feelingfoodblog.blogspot.com recently and was pretty impressed. I've added your site to my Foodie Blogs list here: http://www.eatingbangkok.com/foodie-blogs/ and would also like to add you to my blogroll.

    If you could add my site to your blogroll and write back to let me know it has been added (foodie [at] eatingbangkok.com) I will add you to mine as well and the exchange would be greatly appreciated!

    As you might imagine I am very excited to get moved to Bangkok and get started on covering the food scene there as I feel it is an area that isn't well covered by English speaking bloggers. I plan on adding loads of great reviews, pictures and even video and will be holding contests as well. It should be fun, entertaining and informative for everyone that visits.

    Thank you so much in advance for adding me to your blogroll and I look forward to reading your posts (I've subscribed!) and maybe even featuring some of your own posts as I do plan on a weekly roundup of Thai themed recipes and posts from other food bloggers.

    Warm regards,
    Steve

    P.S. If you are on Twitter I would love to have you as a follower and I follow back:
    http://www.twitter.com/eatingbangkok

    ReplyDelete

I'm glad you're here and would love to know what you think? If there’s a dish or a type of food you’d like to see here, please do let me know. Your comments, notes, tweets always bring a smile to my face. Thanks very much for stopping by at Feeling Food:)